Home » Home Buyers »Home Sellers »Local Information » Currently Reading:

Oregon and Washington Home Inspectors

December 16, 2009 Home Buyers, Home Sellers, Local Information No Comments

Whether you are buying a home or wanting an inspection before you sell (so that you have fewer surprises) getting an inspector is an important piece of the puzzle.

There are many types of inspectors. Your home inspector is kind of like your family doctor who is in General or Family Practice. That inspector may encourage you to get a specialist if you find mold, engineering problems with the structure or land, electrical, plumbing or other problems.

If you are new to Oregon or not sure what type of inspections are typical, you will want to print out or read a copy of the “Oregon Property Buyer Advisory“.

Real estate agent such as myself have a list of home inspectors they have had clients work with over the years.

Two professional organizations in Oregon that have members are:

1.  The Oregon Association of Home Inspectors

2.  The Oregon Real Estate Inspectors Association

You can also check with the State of Oregon Construction Contractors Board to see what it takes to be a Home Inspector in Oregon.

It wasn’t until July 1, 2009 that the State of Washington required Home Inspectors to be licensed. See Senate Bill 6606  . The State of Washington Licensing will help you get a better understanding of what is required to be a Home Inspector there.

The State of Washington Finance Commission  has a number of helps available as you consider home ownership.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development has a helpful list of information about the Home Buying Process including  “Ten Important Questions to Ask Your Home Inspector“.

One question often misunderstood or overlooked is whether your home inspector carries Errors and Omission Insurance.  And/or, Is the limit of your inspectors liability just the cost of your home inspection?

Sewerscopes, Radon, Lead Paint Testing, water and well testing might also be just a partial list of inspections or tests you may consider.

If you are considering buying or selling a home in the Portland Metro or Vancouver Washington area, I would be glad to help you through the home buying process.

If you outside this area, I would be glad to refer you to a local real estate agent who will work on your behalf.

Comment on this Article: